Thursday, April 2, 2009

Super Mario World episode 13

Title- Mama Luigi (12/7/1991)

Worlds- Dinosaur Land

Well here we are at the final episode, and we get an actual origin episode. Wow. I mean I could complain about how we should essentially of seen this episode as episode 1, and it would of made a great episode to introduce the series, but well, I think we should count it lucky we actually got an origin episode. I mean even the Super Mario Bros Super show didn’t have an origin episode, just the opening song.

This episode is infamous as the fodder of Youtube Poop, with the timeless line ‘that’s Mama Luigi to you Mario’ and ‘Koopa Football Playas, grabbed the Princess’ as well as ‘I fell for hours’ Anyway, this episode is still one of the three must-see episodes of this series (I’m not saying that you need to watch them, but they’re the main episodes you should see if you watch this series, as they’re closest to the games.)

This episode seems to follow the story in the game closely apart from the fact Yoshi is a baby throughout (kinda ironic considering he’ll be baby-fied again in Yoshi’s Story) and the final battle was already done in send in the clowns.

The fact the Princess is actually kidnapped in this episode, which strangely rarely happened in this series or the last one helps add to the ‘main storyline’ feel. Overall one of the three greatest episodes in this series, this one is essentially the game in animated form. Oh also it stars Luigi so that’s another plus for me.

And that’s it. That’s the last Mario cartoon by DIC. Mario did have one final animated appearance, but it’s in a video so rare it will take a long time to track down. The video is called Mario Kirby Masterpiece and also features the only animated appearance of Wario. I must say that this series was pretty disappointing to me, as most of the episodes I hadn’t seen, turned out to be so unrelated to the games, it makes me always look down on the whole series, which isn’t fair as there were some good ones, just like this episode. Overall a pretty good series.