Sunday, May 2, 2010

The Super Mario Bros Super Show Episode 4

Title- Mario’s Magic Carpet.

Another episode based around a pop culture tale, this time I think it’s Aladdin, but I’m not sure. It’s not really one of the direct adaptations, more just using a similar setting. Basically they’re searching for Aladdin’s lamp (which is pretty illogical if Aladdin already owns it, but whatever.) and they get captured by this Sultan guy who makes the princess become part of his harem. Then Koopa shows up as we can’t have an episode without him, and buys the Princess off him. Meanwhile the Mario bros find the lamp and some genie and a load of stuff happens. I dunno, I just can’t enjoy this episode, there are only a couple of moments that I find memorable about it but other than that it really is one of the shows worst, a real example of pure drudgery that this series could occasionally fall into (not too often though thank god.)

What was interesting? Well I found the idea of using a swirling quicksand pit as a execution type place kinda cool, reminded me of the sarlacc pit out of Star Wars (the giant mouth in the sand Jabba tried to force them into.) Also, the idea that Luigi speaks Pidgit was really out there. Finally, I suppose the idea of the flying carpets practically being cars was kinda funny I suppose.

Overall, a pretty dull episode, maybe hampered by the fact I don’t really enjoy stories set in deserts to begin with.