Saturday, May 9, 2009

A History in Animation- Punch-out!!

Punch-out!!!













Well. As Punch-out!! Makes a pretty small appearance in animation, I decided to merge it into this article of King Hippo. Anyway, so as we see Punch-Out!! is a pretty run down gym in some city. Its only appearance is in the episode Videolympics. It’s called ‘the world of Punch Out’ but really it seems to be part of a larger world, that said, it could be that the whole city revolves around boxing, or that I’m over thinking a children’s cartoon. One of the two…












This is a different place from Punch-Out!! As its King Hippo’s dream world he created with a genie in the episode Wishful thinking. It’s got pretty generic boxing backgrounds, and as such it doesn’t really have much specifically from the games. However the games are pretty much just boxing, with larger than life opponents, but other than that there isn’t much fantasy, with the setting as New York City, so in other words, this does pretty much match the game, and they did the best they could to make it fit the fantasy theme, with various traps involving boxing gloves on springs.










Next up we have a quick cameo from a boxer who may or may not be Glass Joe. He doesn’t appear much, but the hair colour and general weakling appearance does make it seem like him. Of course it’s pretty likely it’s a coincidence, but then again, most of the shows characters didn’t look like the characters game depictions (or artwork).











Secondly we have another possible cameo of Von Kaiser, sadly without Moustache, (his ringside sprite is blonde despite how the in game sprite looks) but he does actually get knocked out by his shadow while boxing, so it could be him. Also it would make sense for him to be training with Glass Joe as they’re both in the Minor league. Ironically I believe in the new Punch-out Wii that King Hippo is now in the minor league, meaning that the idea of him in the same place as Joe and Von makes more sense now than it did then..











I thought I'd better mention, that this scene from Metroid Sweet Metroid has King Hippo and an army of boxers invade Mount Icarus. I do believe that these boxers are honestly just the writers creations, and not from the games, but this is NAS and I have fun trying to make out that these cartoons are more faithful than they are. The question marks are next to ones who I think they may be, but could easily not be. Also for those of you wondering (or who care) Hornyguy isn't from the game, and the unnamed boxer… I'm just gonna say is a resident of Hippo Island who came to help the King. Actually, now I noticed, when I changed the various features, there are a fair few similarities between the sprites and the pictures. I mean Bald Bull has that scar, Piston Honda has those giant eyebrows, Sandman's flat top and Don Flamenco is an amazing likeness. I also find it amusing that with glasses and the same colouring, Mr Dream actually looks like the animated version, who I put there as a joke.












Next up we have the main Punch-Out!! character in animation, King Hippo. It’s humorous that King Hippo appears in most episodes, yet Little Mac is never seen outside of this strip in the comic and the game Kevin plays in the intro of the show.








One of the first things you could possibly notice (it is very hard to see though, so you must concentrate) is that King Hippo for some reason has Blue skin now. I guess it’s just an after-effect of the way cartoons were back then, I remember the Spider-man series (with the catchy theme tune) of the 60s had
lots of green skinned villains, who were meant to be human, so it’s just something they seemed to have a fixation on.










Anyway, so other than that, he’s pretty much the same character as the games. He’s a fat moron who’s probably taken a few too many blows to the head and loves to eat. That said, I don’t know why he’s really shown as evil. And Hippo Island never is even spoke of, so he’s not a perfect animated version. However, for the few lines of dialogue he has in the game “Do you like my new trunks? They are size XXX Large! Ha Ha Ha!” he’s pretty faithful to the game. Although I wonder where the patch on his stomach went. I’m glad his shorts never fell down though, for my sanity’s sake…

Finally in our comparison, we have the voice comparison. As often, the voice from the games came later than the cartoon character (in this case, a long time after the cartoon). As there's only one actual character from Punch-out who actually spoke in thier animated appearance, I can only compare King Hippo's voice. This pleases me as the new game, has amazing voice acting, but the thing is... all the characters speak in their native languages, so Glass Joe speaks French, Von Kaiser speaks German etc meaning I'd have to start trying to find translations, and even then I wouldn't know what sort of accents etc they put on. Where does this leave our Island chief? Well he speaks... what I'll call Hippese. Which means that his voice acting (I think) is all done by a hippo... I'm not going to insult Mr Gary Chalk and even begin to compare their voices, so I think the differences should be obvious...